A smoke alarm is being credited with saving a man from fire at a Sussex Inlet house early Saturday morning.
Rural Fire Service fire fighters wearing breathing gear pulled the man from the burning house at about 6.30am after a neighbour heard a smoke alarm and raised the alert.
The home occupant was treated for smoke inhalation before he was taken to hospital.
His pet cat also escaped the blaze.
Units from Sussex Inlet, Cudmirrah, St Georges Basin and Wandandian helped to extinguish the blaze which was contained to a bedroom.
A NSW Rural Fire Service spokesman said the blaze highlighted the importance of home fire safety.